Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.…
We have here the commission of the twelve apostles.
I. THEIR AUTHORITY. This they received from the great Head of the Church.
II. THEIR QUALIFICATIONS.
1. Notice the two words used.
(1) Power; the ability to do a thing.
(2) Authority; the lawful right to do it.
2. Two realms referred to.
(1) The spiritual realm of darkness;
(2) the physical realm of human nature.
III. THEIR GREAT MISSION.
1. To give spiritual light and comfort.
2. To relieve those who were physically disabled and tortured.
(1) Christ is Physician for both soul and body.
(2) All His ministers should do what they can for the bodies as well as for the souls of men.
IV. THEIR MARCHING ORDERS. They were to be encumbered with nothing superfluous.
V. THEIR OBEDIENCE. Instructive to us —
(1) in its promptness;
(2) in its exactness;
(3) in its thoroughness.Lessons:
1. Every disciple should be a witnesser for Christ.
2. Though some of the particular things laid down here are not obligatory on us, the prominent features in their equipment are still needed.
(1) The power and authority;
(2) the willingness to give up everything superfluous;
(3) prompt, exact, and thorough obedience.
3. Every one whom Christ sends forth may confidently expect every needed equipment if he ask.
4. Surely the fields are now ripe for the harvest.
5. Let us not only pray that God will send labourers, but be willing to be labourers ourselves.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.