And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.…
I. THE BOOK OF MYSTERY.
1. It is instructive to inquire where the seer saw the book.
2. It is also instructive to notice the fulness of Divine counsels contained in the book.
3. The carefulness with which its contents are secured.
II. A STARTLING CHALLENGE AND THE PROFOUND SUSPENSE.
1. By whom made.
2. The nature of the challenge.
3. The profound suspense.
(1) What a stern rebuke to all the daring speculations of unaided reason concerning the future purposes of God!
(2) How painful the thought of the unbroken seals to the apocalyptic seer!
III. THE CONSOLING ANNOUNCEMENT.
1. The character of the announcement.
2. The ground of the consolation.
IV. A MARVELLOUS SCENE.
1. A symbolic representation of our Lord in heaven.
(1) "In the midst of the throne," etc. Christ is the central figure of all the heavenly hosts.
(2) "A Lamb as it had been slain," etc. Christ's death is the ground of all heavenly glory.
2. "A symbolic representation of the investiture of Christ with full control of all the purposes of the Father.
(1) These purposes are symbolised in the book.
(2) The investiture is symbolised in Christ becoming possessor of the book.
3. A symbolic representation of the joy which will fill all heaven and earth and sea when Christ is thus honoured.
(1) The song now sung was a "new song."(2) The inspiration of the song was the worthiness of Christ to take the book and to open its seals.
(3) The theme of the song — redemption through Christ's blood; the exaltation of the saved to the positions of kings and priests, blessed hope of reigning over the earth.Learn —
1. That all the events of the future, as well as those of the past, are under the supreme control of our Lord as Redeemer.
2. That to Christ we owe every ray of light that this book sheds on the future.
3. That while terrible judgments are announced in the book against the wicked, the issue will be most glorious for the Church of Christ, and the result of Christ's administration will be the triumph of holiness.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.