And God spoke to Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,…
I. THE PARTIES OF THE COVENANT.
1. The all-loving and everlasting God.
(1) The time when God makes this covenant is instructive.
(2) The Divine motive which prompted this covenant is encouraging.
(3) The Divine power to fulfil the terms of this covenant is all-sufficient.
2. Noah and his sons and their posterity, and every living thing.
(1) Its comprehensiveness.
(2) Its duration.
II. THE BENEFITS OF THE COVENANT.
1. The regularity of the seasons is guaranteed.
2. Food for man and beast.
III. THE TOKEN OF THE COVENANT.
1. The beauty of the token is suggestive.
(1) Its arched form, whose apex touches the sky, and whose base is on earth, and suggests that it is God's covenant that connects heaven with earth, and is the crown of human hope.
(2) Its colours suggest both the infinite variety and immaculate glory of God's covenant blessings.
2. The permanency of the token is suggestive.
(1) That God never forgets His covenant with us.
(2) That He would have our faith in His promises as constantly exercised as His memory of His covenant is unfailing.
3. Its heavenly sphere is suggestive.
1. God's most endearing title: our covenant-God.
2. As covenant-God He is full of grace and truth.
3. The centre of both grace and truth is He whose blood is the blood of the covenant.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,