In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
I. THE ORIGIN OF THE UNIVERSE.
1. The universe not self-existent, self-evolved, or eternal, but "created."
2. Brought into existence by the exercise of Divine power. "God created."
3. Stages in process of formation implied.
II. THE ORIGIN OF THE PRESENT ORDER OF OUR PLANET.
1. The chaotic condition of the planet described.
2. The Divine Author of the present order.
3. The first recorded fiat.
III. THE SUMMARY OF THE CREATIVE WEEK (Genesis 2:4-8). Lessons:
1. Learn the comprehensiveness of the opening sentence of the Bible.
2. Learn to appreciate this clear, refreshing, and authoritative declaration that the origin of the universe and of man is a personal, all-wise, almighty, and loving God.
3. Learn the lofty dignity of our primal spiritual nature in its identification with the ineffable nature of God.
4. Learn that to worship, love, and obey God, is our reasonable service.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.