Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
1. Their title was illustrious.
2. Their pursuit was illustrious.
3. Their wealth was illustrious.
4. Their character was illustrious.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
I. A MODEL OF SOUND WISDOM FOR ALL TRUE CHRISTIANS. Examine the character of their faith.
1. In its commencement: promptitude to follow the call of heaven.
2. In its progress: in their well-supported constancy when the star disappeared.
3. In the perfection of their faith.
II. A PORTRAIT OF THE BLIND WISDOM OF WORLDLY MEN, AS SEEN IN HEROD'S PERSECUTION OF JESUS CHRIST.
1. This false wisdom is at enmity with God.
2. God is at enmity with this reprobate wisdom.What did the new-born Saviour to Herod: —
1. He troubled him.
2. Made him odious.
3. Confounded his counsel.
4. Made him, in defiance of himself, subservient to the designs of providence.
Parallel VersesKJV: Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,