And as they thus spoke, Jesus himself stood in the middle of them, and said to them, Peace be to you.…
I. ESSENTIAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE OLD TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES.
(1) The books of Divine origin.
(2) Its writers holy men.
(1) In their spirit.
(2) In their letter.
(3) In their symbols.
(1) Moses, the prophets, and psalms distinct chords of one Christly anthem.
(2) This wondrous unity of the Old Testament Scriptures an irrefragable proof of their essential divinity.
II. ESSENTIAL NEED OF DIVINE ILLUMINATION TO UNDERSTAND THE OLD TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES.
1. Suggested by Christ's exposition.
2. Proved in the disciples' experience.
3. Corroborated in all generations.
III. ESSENTIAL PRE-REQUISITES FOR HUMAN SALVATION.
1. The death of Christ.
2. The resurrection of Christ.
3. Repentance and remission of sins.
IV. AN ESSENTIAL CHARACTERISTIC OF A DISCIPLE OF CHRIST.
1. TO bear witness of personal salvation through Christ.
2. To bear witness of personal interest in the salvation of others,
V. AN ESSENTIAL NEED FOR SUCCESSFUL WITNESSING FOR CHRIST.
1. This promise of the Father was the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8).
2. This gift of the Holy Spirit was to endue the disciples of Christ with power for testimony.
3. This enducment with the power of the Holy Spirit essential for successsful bearing witness for Christ.Practical questions:
1. Are we all disciples of Christ?
2. Do we all bear witness for Jesus Christ?
3. Is our witnessing for Christ accompanied with the power of the Holy Spirit?
4. If not, why not?
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.