And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children.…
1. The sons of Israel, or Church of God, are in a moving state below.
2. From countries and cities with habitations, God leads His people sometimes to pitch in booths.
3. The number of the seed of God's visible Church is great and multiplied according to His word.
4. Men, women, and children, God numbers with His Church or Israel (ver. 37).
5. Providence so ordering, all sorts of people may join themselves to God's Church, though not in truth.
6. God's Word fails not in giving His Church great substance when He seeth it good (ver. 88).
7. Liberty from Egypt is Israel's good portion with unleavened cakes.
8. Sufficiency and contentation God giveth His people in their straits.
9. In working liberty for His Church, God may put them upon some hardship. 10. God sometimes prevents the providence of His Church for themselves, that He may provide for them (ver. 39).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children.