And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject to us through your name.…
I. COMMISSION OF THE SEVENTY.
1. They were commissioned of Christ.
2. They were commissioned of Christ to prepare the way before Him.
3. They received special directions when commissioned.
(1) Every one deeming himself commissioned of Christ should carefully study his Lord's "marching orders."
(2) To ignore these instructions is to prove unfitness for the Lord's service.
II. ENDOWMENT OF THE SEVENTY. Miraculous and spiritual power.
III. IDENTIFICATION OF THE SEVENTY WITH CHRIST.
1. His gospel they were to preach.
2. Himself they were to represent.
(1) Such identification is true of every minister of Christ.
(2) Such identification devolves on hearers of the gospel a responsibility simply unspeakable.
IV. RETURN OF THE SEVENTY.
1. The spirit in which they returned. Rejoicing.
2. The ground of their rejoicing.
(1) The power with which they were invested.
(2) This ground not sufficient.
(a) Because of its temporariness.
(b) Because of its dangerous tendency.
3. The true ground for Christian joy. Names written in heaven.
(1) More permanent.
(2) More glorious.
(3) More satisfactory.
V. CHRIST'S JOY IN THE SEVENTY. Because of the honour the Father conferred on them.Lessons:
1. Whom Christ commissions He sufficiently endows.
2. Not great power, position, or genius the true ground of the minister's joy, but a "name written in heaven."
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.