And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the middle of Samaria and Galilee.…
I. A WRETCHED COMPANY.
II. A SURPRISED COMPANY.
1. The occasion of the surprise.
(1) They suddenly met Jesus.
(a) Life is full of surprises.
(b) To meet Jesus is the-best of all life's surprises.
2. The effects of this surprise.
(1) Hope was enkindled within them.
(2) Prayer for mercy broke forth from them.
(3) Healing of their dreadful malady was experienced by them.
III. AN UNGRATEFUL COMPANY.
1. Consider the number healed.
2. The cry which brought the healing.
3. The simultaneousness of the healing.
4. The ingratitude of the healed.
(1) Only one returned to acknowledge the mercy.
(2) This one a stranger.
(3) The ungrateful are those of the Master's own household.
(4) Are these representative facts?
5. Consider the special blessing bestowed on the grateful soul.
(1) Not only healed in body, but also in soul.
(2) Soul-healing ever requires personal faith.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass, as he went to Jerusalem, that he passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee.