Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them, When you come into the land which I give you…
I. ITS PECULIAR FEATURES.
1. It was a great boon to all sorrowing ones.
(1) Every captive was liberated.
(2) The exiled wanderer returned.
(3) The oppressed debtor was released from his debts.
(4) The unfortunate poor were restored to their ancestral heritage.
(5) Families that had been separated were now reunited.
(6) Every estate reverted to the families to whom they were originally allotted in the conquest of Canaan.
2. All this was intimately connected with the Day of Atonement.
3. It was to be a year of perfect freedom from toil.
4. Every business transaction had reference to the year of jubilee.
II. ITS TYPICAL MEANING.
1. It has special reference to the millennial glory of Israel in the land which Jehovah keeps for them through all generations.
(1) God claims Canaan as He does no other.
(2) God has honoured Canaan as He has no other.
(a) There His throne and sanctuary were.
(b) There His priests ministered, and His prophets spoke.
(c) There His own Son was born, grew up, worked, wept, suffered, died, and rose again.
(d) When Jesus returns, His feet shall stand on the Mount of Olives.
2. It is a beautiful and correct type of heaven.
(1) Where every believer will enter upon his inheritance, and enter into his perfect rest.
(2) Where all exile, captivity, separation, poverty and oppression will for ever cease.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye come into the land which I give you, then shall the land keep a sabbath unto the LORD.