For as much then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same…
I. WHAT OF DEATH IT IS, BY WHICH THE PERSONS SPOKEN OF IN THE TEXT ARE KEPT IN FEAR AND BONDAGE.
1. Sin, the cause of death, operates in producing this effect.
2. The law which threatens death.
3. Afflictions, the harbingers of death.
4. Satan, who had the power of death.
5. Death itself. He knows not how rudely the last enemy may handle him, when he arrives. He is well aware that he is a merciless tyrant, that he knows not how to show pity.
II. HOW DOES CHRIST DELIVER THEM FROM THIS FEAR AND BONDAGE?
1. By assuring them that He has made satisfaction for their sin, and will preserve them from its guilt and power.
2. By making known to them their deliverance from the law as a covenant.
3. By giving them to understand that their afflictions are all, to their souls, blessings in disguise.
4. By reminding them of the glorious victories which He hath obtained over Satan, their great enemy.
5. By promising them His presence at the hour of death.
III. A FEW THOUGHTS CALCULATED TO GUIDE AND ENCOURAGE BELIEVERS WHEN SUFFERING AND DYING.
1. Keep a steady eye on the rod with which God corrects you, and you will see that He never gives it wholly out of His own hand.
2. Rest assured that all the afflictions measured out to you are the fruits of your heavenly Father's love.
3. Remember, that in being visited with affliction you are not singular. This is the discipline of your heavenly Father's house.
4. Live under the firm persuasion that your trials shall all issue well. They may, indeed, be numerous and horrific; but so soon as they cease to be necessary, they shall cease to be administered.
5. Submit to the will of God in all things. Sharp may be the stroke of His hand, but the way of duty is plain and obvious. Endeavour, in His strength, and spirit, and grace, to exercise patient resignation, and quiet submission.
Parallel VersesKJV: Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
WEB: Since then the children have shared in flesh and blood, he also himself in the same way partook of the same, that through death he might bring to nothing him who had the power of death, that is, the devil,