Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.…
I. THE ADVANTAGES OF OCCASIONAL SOLITUDE. It is alone —
1. That we disengage ourselves from the world.
2. That we obtain a knowledge of ourselves.
3. That we can be familiar with God.
II. How familiar OUR SAVIOUR IS WITH OUR MOST PRIVATE CONCERNS.
1. To know all persons and things infallibly is the prerogative of God only.
2. "The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good."
3. Let the righteous rejoice, and the brokenhearted penitent be encouraged.
III. SINCERITY IN RELIGION IS A QUALITY WHICH OUR SAVIOUR CALLS UPON US TO ADMIRE.
1. Because of its rarity.
2. Because of its excellence.
IV. THERE MAY BE TRUE GRACE WHERE THERE IS AT PRESENT LITTLE LIGHT.
1. Let us not, then, conclude that a man is a stranger to grace because he is unable to go all our lengths in sentiment.
2. Nor let us be anxious to force upon him doctrines he is not prepared to receive.
V. WHERE GRACE IS REAL IT WILL IN DUE TIME BE ATTENDED WITH CLEARER-LIGHT.
Parallel VersesKJV: Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.