These also are the generations of Aaron and Moses in the day that the LORD spoke with Moses in mount Sinai.…
In vers. 1-4 we have —
I. AN INCIDENTAL ILLUSTRATION OF THE EXALTED PERSONAL CHARACTER AND THE DIVINE MISSION OF MOSES.
II. AN INTIMATION THAT THE DUTIES OF THE MINISTERS OF RELIGION DEMAND FOR THEIR FAITHFUL DISCHARGE THEIR ENTIRE CONSECRATION THERETO.
III. AN EXAMPLE OF WICKED SONS DESCENDING FROM A GODLY PARENT.
IV. AN EXAMPLE OF THE WIDEST DIFFERENCE OF CHARACTER AND DESTINY IN CHILDREN OF THE SAME PARENTS. Our subject utters earnest counsels —
1. To the children of godly parents. Trust not in the character and prayers of your parents for salvation. These are of priceless value, yet they will not avail to your salvation apart from your own faith and obedience. (See Ezekiel 18.)
2. To parents. Be diligent and faithful in the discharge of your duty to your children.
(1) Let your own life be right, and so set them a good example.
(2) Give them wise religious instruction and training.
(3) Commend them often and earnestly to God in prayer.
(4) Afford them encouragement in every manifestation of pious feeling and conduct.
Parallel VersesKJV: These also are the generations of Aaron and Moses in the day that the LORD spake with Moses in mount Sinai.