Divers weights, and divers measures, both of them are alike abomination to the LORD.
I. DISHONESTY IN TRADE IS VARIOUS IN ITS FORMS. "Divers weights and divers measures... and a false balance."
II. DISHONESTY IN TRADE IS OFFENSIVE TO GOD.
1. Dishonesty is known to Him: His eye is on our business transactions, and no names or pretences, however plausible, can deceive Him.
2. Dishonesty is abhorred by Him. It is "an abomination unto the Lord."
III. DISHONESTY IN TRADE IS GREAT FOLLY AND SIN. This seems to be the idea of the latter clause of ver. 23: "A false balance is not good." The man who is dishonest for gain sacrifices —
1. The greater for the less.
2. The spiritual for the material.
3. The eternal and permanent for the temporal and uncertain.
4. The Divine for the worldly. Dishonesty is arrant folly; the man who gains by fraud is a great loser.Conclusion:
1. Transact business by the rule laid down by our Lord (Matthew 7:12).
2. Transact business as in the sight of God.
Parallel VersesKJV: Divers weights, and divers measures, both of them are alike abomination to the LORD.