Who is there among you of all his people? his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah…
We discover an analogy in these two things as regards —
I. THE SUBJECTS. The Jews were exiles and captives in Babylon. "Whosoever committeth sin is the slave of sin" (John 8:34). In his sinful state man is an exile from his true condition and place, and the bondsman of evil powers.
II. THE AGENTS. Cyrus and Jesus Christ. The analogy between them is st least twofold.
1. Both were called of God to this work. Ages before his birth Cyrus was prenominated for this work (Isaiah 44:24; Isaiah 14:6). And Jesus Christ is pre-eminently the Servant, the Anointed, the Sent of God (Isaiah 13:1; Isaiah 61:1-3; Luke 4:18, 19; John 3:16, 17; Galatians 4:4, 5; 1 John 4:9).
2. Both effected this work by battling with and overcoming the oppressors. Cyrus had to conquer the Babylonian Empire before he could release the captive Jews. And our Lord and Saviour, as the Son of Man, encountered sin and mastered it.
III. THE SOURCE. In both cases the blessing flowed from the free and unmerited grace of God. The Jews had no claim upon Him against whom they had so Persistently rebelled. "God commendeth His love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us."
IV. THE EXTENT.
1. It is offered to all.
2. It is accepted only by some. Great numbers preferred to remain in Babylon.
(1) Many did not feel any deprivation or degradation in their exile and subjection.
(2) Many had attachments and interests in Babylon which they could not or would not leave.
V. "GO UP TO BUILD THE HOUSE OF THE LORD WHICH IS IN JERUSALEM." A striking illustration of the grand end of redemption.
Parallel VersesKJV: Who is there among you of all his people? his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of the LORD God of Israel, (he is the God,) which is in Jerusalem.
WEB: Whoever there is among you of all his people, may his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of Yahweh, the God of Israel (he is God), which is in Jerusalem.