And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,…
I. I observe, in the first place, that THERE ARE CERTAIN THINGS, THE KNOWLEDGE OF WHICH IS ESSENTIAL TO YOUR ETERNAL PEACE.
1. It deeply concerns you to know, for example, in what situation you stand, with respect to God and the world to come.
2. Again, it deeply concerns us to know, whether God, by any means, may be reconciled, to those who have set themselves in opposition to His will.
3. Once more, it deeply concerns you to know, what state of mind is required in you, in order that you may profit by the grace and mercy of your dying Saviour.
II. I observe, secondly, that THE SON OF GOD IS MOST AFFECTIONATELY DESIROUS THAT WE SHOULD KNOW THESE THINGS.
III. NEVERTHELESS, THE COMPASSION OF CHRIST WILL NOT STOP THE COURSE OF HIS JUSTICE, IF THESE THINGS BE FINALLY DISREGARDED.
1. HOW inexcusable is the thoughtless sinner, who, after all, will not know the things which belong unto his peace!
2. But reflect, on the other hand, how welcome will every returning sinner be!
(J. Jowett, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it,