And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables, and said,
I. THE FALSE HOPE INDULGED. The man without the wedding garment represents the person who believes that he is reconciled to God, who has not God's righteousness. This hope may be designated
1. A self-righteous hope.
2. An impenitent hope.
II. THE SOUL STRIPPED OF ITS HOPE AND ITS PRETENSIONS.
1. Here is the dumbness of true conviction. No excuse.
2. The speechlessness of amazement. Amazed that all his efforts are of no avail.
3. The dumbness of awe and terror. He has met his Maker.
4. The speechlessness expresses despair.Learn:
1. The first duty of every one is to determine what is a suitable preparation for heaven.
2. Sincere ignorance will save no man.
3. Now is the time for self-scrutiny.
(E. N. Kirk, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,