For the kingdom of heaven is like to a man that is an householder…
By these labourers that were hired long after the morning, we are to understand men in whom nothing appeared that should dispose any person to have a favourable opinion of them, or who were at least destitute of anything truly good, whilst others made a figure in the Church.
I. SPEAK OF OLD SINNERS THAT NEED CONVERSION.
1. There are some who have never thought seriously about the state of their souls; or their serious thoughts, if ever any obtained possession of their minds, have left no impression.
2. There are some who entertain a groundless opinion of the goodness of their state.
3. There are some who live in suspense about their condition.
4. There are some too well enlightened to flatter themselves with groundless hopes.
II. SHOW THAT OLD SINNERS MAY BE CONVERTED.
1. God deals with them, by the gospel, as well as with sinners who are yet in the days of their youth.
2. The long-suffering of the Lord is salvation to sinners. God spares long, to give space for obtaining pardon and salvation.
3. From the grace of God bestowed upon transgressors in former days, it appears, that there is mercy with him for old transgressors.
III. Consider the encouragement given to old sinners to repent. The gracious reward promised to those who enter into the vineyard at the eleventh hour, must have a powerful effect upon all who believe the promises of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Parallel VersesKJV: For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.