And he said to him, I am the LORD that brought you out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give you this land to inherit it.…
I. FAITH IS CONFIRMED BY THE REMEMBRANCE OF GOD'S PAST DEALINGS.
1. We should call to mind what God is.
2. We should consider the steps by which we have arrived at what we are already.
3. We should keep that purpose of God before us, in reference to which we first exercised our faith.
II. FAITH IS CONFIRMED BY COVENANT.
1. It was a token and pledge of God's promises, not a concession to unbelief.
2. It was a covenant made by sacrifice.
3. It was a covenant which was so ordered as to give a further exercise to faith.
III. FAITH IS CONFIRMED BY A FURTHER DISCOVERY OF THE DIVINE WILL.
1. This discovery was preceded by a revelation of the awful majesty of God.
2. The future was unfolded.
(1) That it was not altogether a cheering prospect.
(2) But it would be bright in the end.
IV. FAITH IS CONFIRMED BY THE DISPLAY OF THE DIVINE GLORY.
1. The Divine glory in the overthrow of evil.
2. The Divine glory in salvation.
V. FAITH IS CONFIRMED BY THE PROSPECT OF A PEACEFUL DEATH AND OF REUNION WITH THE SPIRITS OF THE JUST.
1. This prospect renders the life of the believer independent of the earthly fortunes of the Church.
2. This prospect deprives the grave of its terrors.
(T. H. Leale.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.