And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
I. THE OFFICE OF THE SPIRIT. This term signifies to call to one's self. A person is in distress on account of ignorance, and he calls to him a learned person; a person ignorant in the law, who wants to appear in a court of justice, calls a person learned in the law; a person who is in distress on account of any disease calls a physician.. So the Holy Spirit. In the season of distress He comes to us at our call. The Holy Spirit performs this office —
1. By the attestation of pardon.
2. By the production of a new and holy nature.
3. By maturing the Christian character.
4. By the assistance He affords in devotional exercises.
5. By fortifying the mind against the fear of death.
II. THE PERIOD OF HIS CONTINUANCE. His continued residence —
1. Constitutes the great distinction and difference between the Church and the world (ver. 17).
2. Gives efficiency and success to the means of grace.
3. Is an assurance of the ultimate triumph of the Church.
III. THE MODE OF HIS ATTAINING THIS OFFICE. We are indebted to Jesus Christ for the gift of the Holy Ghost, because —
1. It is the reward of His sufferings.
2. The reward of His intercession, Therefore —
3. We have a pledge and an assurance that Christ will pray the Father.
Parallel VersesKJV: And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;