Like a crane or a swallow, so did I chatter: I did mourn as a dove: my eyes fail with looking upward: O LORD, I am oppressed…
"Like a crane," &c.
I. AFFLICTIONS OFTEN LEAD TO RASH AND FOOLISH MURMURINGS. They often —
1. Obscure God's goodness.
2. Lead us to forget past mercies.
3. Darken our future.
II. AFFLICTIONS LEADING TO RASH AND FOOLISH MURMURINGS EXPOSE US TO GREAT MORAL DANGERS. We may, then —
1. Wrongly interpret God's providence.
2. Lose the benefit which God intended.
3. Dishonour Him.
4. Bring discredit upon our religious profession.
III. AFFLICTIONS HAVING LED TO RASH AND FOOLISH MURMURINGS, SUCH MURMURINGS SHOULD BE ACKNOWLEDGED. This will —
1. Show our sense of the evil of our conduct.
2. Tend to repair the injury we may have done.
3. Obtain pardon from God.
(W. O. Lilley.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Like a crane or a swallow, so did I chatter: I did mourn as a dove: mine eyes fail with looking upward: O LORD, I am oppressed; undertake for me.