And as they heard these things, he added and spoke a parable, because he was near to Jerusalem…
I. THE PROPER NATURE OF THE KINGDOM.
1. The Son of God from heaven is King.
2. He has received the kingdom in heaven. He will give lull manifestation of it from heaven; and return.
II. THE PRESENT STATE OF THE KINGDOM. Although a heavenly kingdom, it yet stretches over the whole human race upon earth; for on earth He has —
1. Servants, as stewards of entrusted gifts.
2. Enemies, who grudge His heavenly glory.
III. THE FUTURE MANIFESTATION OF THE KINGDOM SHOWS IT TO BE A HEAVENLY ONE, from the manner in which rewards and punishments are to be distributed; which is —
1. Righteous and beneficent in the gracious apportionment of reward to those of approved fidelity.
2. Just and righteous in the punishment —
(1) of the faithless;
(2) of avowed enemies.
(F. G. Lisco.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.