And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke…
I. WHEREIN IT CONSISTS.
1. Not in the degree of the external sufferings endured on account of faith, but in the measure of the fidelity displayed for Christ.
2. The apostles waited on their ministry with perseverance and joyful courage, and therein lay their fidelity.
3. They forsook the places which had become dear to them as soon as they were made away, that the Lord had no further use for them there.
II. WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT? Because —
1. There is nothing in it to flatter our refined selfishness. There is wanting the "halo before the world," for fidelity is clothed in homely garments.
2. It destroys self-will. Perhaps death was easier than flight.
III. IN WHAT LIES ITS BLESSING.
1. It secures God's will, not man's.
2. Therefore it is rich in fruits of all kinds —
(1) Faith (ver. 1).
(2) Divine manifestation (ver. 3).
(3) The conversion of calamity into blessing (ver. 7).
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake, that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed.