Truly, truly, I say to you, He that believes on me has everlasting life.…
I. In Christ alone can we have any CERTAIN RELIGIOUS KNOWLEDGE.
1. Soul hungers for the knowledge which pertains to its nature and its relation to its Creator and destiny.
2. Christ is the Truth, and satisfies this hunger.
II. Christ is the food of the soul, because He alone SATISFIES OUR MORAL NATURES.
1. Them is a sense in which every man hungers after righteousness. We seek to relieve our troubled consciences —
(1) By extenuating our faults;
(2) by forgetting them;
(3) by seeking pardon through priests.
2. But there is no satisfaction but in Christ. He sustains —
(1) By justifying grace;
(2) by positive holiness.
III. Christ is the bread of life in that from Him we have the HOPE OF THE LIFE EVERLASTING.
1. No human speculation regarding the future, however pleasing, can kindle real hope.
2. Christ hath brought life and immortality to light, and is "in us the hope of glory."
(J. M. Ludlow, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.