1 Corinthians 15:45-50
And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.…
or the mystery of life contemplated: —
I. IN ITS SOURCES.
1. Adam was endued with natural life, Christ with a life-giving Spirit.
2. The natural preceded the spiritual.
3. The natural is of the earth, the spiritual is the Lord from heaven.
II. IN ITS COMMUNICATION.
1. From Adam we derive the earthy or natural life, from Christ the heavenly.
2. The image of the earthy precedes the heavenly.
3. As the earthy body (flesh and blood) cannot inherit heaven, it must be exchanged for an incorruptible body.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.