1 Corinthians 7:24
Brothers, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.
I. THE DANGER. —
1. Of becoming discontented with our calling.
2. This is common.
3. It may be excited by the more enlightened views produced by conversion.
II. THE DUTY. "To abide," &c.
1. This does not mean —
(1) That a slave may not seek his liberty.
(2) That a man must not relinquish a nefarious occupation.
(3) That a Christian may not desire a position of greater advantage and usefulness.
2. It —
(1) Inculcates contentment.
(2) Teaches that every honest calling affords scope for Christian development, and that we should serve God in our calling.
III. THE MOTIVE. God —
1. Has appointed your condition.
2. Blesses you in it.
3. Can easily improve it if desirable.
(J. Lyth, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.