1 Corinthians 15:55-58
O death, where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory?…
The sting of
death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. —
I. ITS STING. Sin occasions the pangs of —
3. Fear at the prospect of meeting God.
4. Apprehension in the thought of judgment.
II. ITS POWER. Derived from the law, because —
1. It announces the penalty of sin.
2. Manifests the evil of sin.
3. Enforces the punishment of sin and perpetuates it.
III. ITS DEFEAT.
1. Through Christ.
2. Achieved by every believer.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?