Why, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence…
I. IS YOUR OWN CONCERN.
1. Others may be solicitous about you.
2. You must bear the responsibility.
II. DEMANDS EFFORT.
1. It is not of works.
2. Yet it must be worked out.
III. MUST BE ANXIOUSLY PROSECUTED.
1. With peaceful confidence in God.
2. Yet with fear and trembling.
(J. Lyth, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.