1 Corinthians 15:46
However, that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
I. NATURAL LIFE NECESSARILY PRECEDES THE SPIRITUAL, or heavenly.
1. Progression is the law of all life.
2. So man was created in a lower condition with the prospect of advancing to a higher.
3. Natural life, so far from rendering a nobler life doubtful, much rather justifies the hope of it (vers. 45, 46).
II. THE NATURAL AND THE SPIRITUAL LIFE ARE MYSTERIOUSLY UNITED.
1. Apparently they are distinct, as in the first and second Adam (vers. 47, 48).
2. But they are really the same nature under different forms (vers. 49)
3. Hence when the earthly is lost in the heavenly humanity is still essentially the same.
III. THE SPIRITUAL LIFE IS THE GLORIFICATION OF THE NATURAL LIFE. Man's destiny is immortality (ver. 50). The present mode of life (flesh and blood) is temporary, therefore must the natural be glorified that man may live for ever.
(J. Lyth, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.