1 Corinthians 1:17-31
For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words…
I. HIS COMMISSION.
II. HIS PARAMOUNT WORK.
1. Not to baptize, much less busy himself with a thousand other things.
2. But to preach the gospel.
III. HIS PRESCRIBED METHODS.
1. Not with wisdom of words.
2. But simply, plainly, pointedly.
IV. HIS MOTIVE.
1. That nothing might hinder.
2. But everything promote the effect of the Cross of Christ.
(J. Lyth, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.