There shall be an handful of corn in the earth on the top of the mountains; the fruit thereof shall shake like Lebanon…
I. OFFER SOME EXPOSITORY REMARKS.
1. The handful of corn. This tells of the few disciples who at the first preached the Gospel. As Isaac was offered on Mount Moriah, so our Lord on the summit of the same mount was offered up. He was the seed corn.
2. The fruit. This all the result of our Lord's death. And it shall be abundant like the forests of Lebanon.
3. They of the city. The apostles went forth from Jerusalem after they were endued with power.
II. THE EXPRESSIVENESS OF THE SIMILE — the corn of wheat.
1. It possesses a kind of immortality.
2. Life springs from its death.
3. Propagates its own likeness.
4. Has unlimited power of multiplication.
III. THE IMPORT OF THE SHAKING HERE TOLD OF (Hebrews 12:25-29). The religious systems of the earth are doomed, and the political likewise.
(J. A. Macdonald.)
Parallel VersesKJV: There shall be an handful of corn in the earth upon the top of the mountains; the fruit thereof shall shake like Lebanon: and they of the city shall flourish like grass of the earth.