When therefore the LORD knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,…
1. If now, with all the comforts of tent and equipage, the modern traveller finds locomotion oppressive and exhausting, what must it have been to Christ with no aid but the staff and rough sandal?
2. It is in such incidental occurrences that our Lord's humanity and condescension are most touchingly exemplified.
3. He worked miracles for others, never for Himself.
4. My Saviour is my brother. He took not on Him the nature of angels.
(1) Because angelic nature is a Spiritual essence and incapable of corporeal suffering.
(2) Because He could not then have participated in feeling with those He came to redeem.
5. But my Saviour is my Lord or He could never have relieved my want.
I. Let the WEARY WITH LIFE'S JOURNEY, with pain, travail, and loneliness consider Him, lest they be weary and faint in their souls.
II. Let the WEARY WITH SIN who have come up through hot valleys of temptation, and are now sitting by poisoned wells, the pitcher broken at the cistern, the zest of life gone, without shelter, hear Him say, "Come unto Me and I will give you rest,"
III. Let those WEARY WITH THE BURDEN AND HEAT OF THE DAY IN THE MIDST OF THEIR LIFE'S CALLING, in manhood's sixth hour, one half of existence over, hasten to Him, lest the valley of death, like the valley of Shechem, be close at hand while the fountain of life is neglected. Conclusion. You are Spiritually between the Ebal of courses and the Gerizim of blessings — Which are you to choose?
(J. R. Macduff, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,