Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repents.
I. THE NATURE AND CHARACTERISTICS OF ANGELS. Spiritual beings of high dignity and capacities.
1. Their might. They excel in strength. The army of God.
2. Their power. Great mental endowments.
3. Their purity.
II. THEIR JOY AT THE RECOVERY AND CONVERSION OF SINNERS.
1. It proceeds from their superior knowledge of what man's place in the intelligent universe is: his Divine origin, and sublime destiny.
2. The conversion of a sinner brings joy to the angelic hosts, because thereby their liege Lord is honoured, His name exalted, His grace magnified, His rule acknowledged, and His word found not to have returned to Him void.
3. Their happiness is to see happiness, and conversion is the first step to a sinner's happiness.
III. THE DUTY DEVOLVING UPON OURSELVES, TO DO THAT WHICH MAY AUGMENT BOTH THEIR JOY AND OURS. We must engage in good works, and endeavour, each in his own vocation and ministry, to lead sinners to repentance.
(D. Moore, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.