So God subdued on that day Jabin the king of Canaan before the children of Israel.
I. WHAT HE DID: "God subdued... Jabin the king."
1. This is the normal issue of God's activity. For God to act is for Him to conquer. Where the victory tarries, it is only God waiting.
2. He subdued Jabin the king of Canaan. Who is able to stand against Him?
3. Every oppressor of God's people becomes His foe. He who molests them virtually challenges God.
II. HOW HE DID IT: "So."
1. By inspiring Deborah with a holy courage.
2. By arrangement. The plan of salvation is only one grand instance of the Divine order,
III. WHEN HE DID IT: "On that day." God never miscalculates. The Eternal is never late.
1. It was as soon as they wanted it.
2. It was when they were most ready to receive it.
IV. WHERE HE DID IT: "Before the children of Israel."
1. There are many things which God must do out of our sight.
2. There are instances when He works by signs which are visible — Red Sea; Carmel. This victory was not only decided, but manifest.
(E. M. Mouchin.).
Parallel VersesKJV: So God subdued on that day Jabin the king of Canaan before the children of Israel.