And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
I. How DO PERSONS USUALLY ATTEND THE HOUSE OF GOD?
(1) Without sober and becoming thoughts of the great and glorious object of all religious homage and adoration.
(2) Ignorant of their spiritual necessities.
II. How OUGHT PEOPLE TO COME THITHER?
1. With thought.
2. With prayer.
3. With faith.It is as faith is in lively and vigorous exercise that God is apprehended and felt to be really present. It is by faith we embrace the proffered mercies of the gospel. Concluding remarks:
1. See the true reason why many profit so little from their means of grace.
2. How abundantly you might profit by a more thoughtful, prayerful, and faithful use of your means.
(W. Mudge, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.