And he said to them, When you pray, say, Our Father which are in heaven, Hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done…
I. THE KINGDOM FOR WHICH CHRIST HAS TAUGHT US TO PRAY. A spiritual kingdom. The prayer has for its objects —
1. The spread of the gospel among men.
2. The saving reception of the gospel by man.
II. WHY THE COMING OF THIS KINGDOM IS ACCOUNTED DESIRABLE. Tills will appear when we consider the numerous and valuable blessings which it invariably brings: such as —
1. The light which it spreads.
2. The liberty which it grants.
3. The peace which it promotes.
4. The laws which it enforces.
5. The purity which it establishes.
III. THE CONSIDERATIONS WHICH SHOULD INDUCE US TO PRAY FOR THE COMING OF THIS KINGDOM. We have an inducement in the consideration —
1. That the Sovereign of this kingdom has an indisputable right to universal rule.
2. This kingdom has not yet come to the full extent of the dominion promised.
3. The universal establishment of this kingdom is ultimately certain.
IV. THE DUTY OF THOSE WHO PRAY FOR THE COMING OF THIS KINGDOM. It is their duty —
1. Personally to receive the gospel.
2. Personally to promote the spread of the gospel.
3. Personally to persevere in prayer for the success of this gospel.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.