Let your moderation be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
I. THE DOCTRINE. The words are not applicable merely to some persons, nations, occasions, circumstances, but to all. The Lord is at hand to the pious and the profane; in places of devotion and places of commerce and pleasure. He fills all time and space (Psalm 139).
II. THE OCCASIONS WHICH ARE SPECIALLY CALCULATED TO REMIND US OF THIS.
1. God's visitations in the death of those around us.
2. Our own advancing years.
3. The vicissitudes of the seasons.
4. The march of time towards eternity.
III. THE GROUND AND SOURCE OF THE SINNER'S SAFETY.
1. Redemption in Christ.
2. Regeneration and holiness by the Spirit.
3. Divine friendship.
IV. PRACTICAL EFFECTS.
1. In view of Christ's present and future nearness, men should be ready for His manifestation.
2. Diligent in duty.
3. Dead to the world.
Parallel VersesKJV: Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.