I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.
The favour of the Almighty has always been bestowed upon such as remember Him in the days of their youth. See the cases of Joseph, Samuel, Solomon, Josiah, Hannah, Ruth, Timothy, etc.
1. There is an incalculable advantage in beginning in season a work which we know to be long and difficult.
2. Another advantage is the defence which is thus set up against the encroachments of vice. Youth is the season of warm and generous affections: the time when inexperience entices into a thousand snares; the season for active exertion. In youth, we say, the future hinges on the present. If the thoughts and feelings are pure, the soul will be bright with happiness.
3. Another advantage is the promotion of happiness in the family circle, and the beneficent influence thus exerted upon companions and friends.
4. Another advantage is the indescribable satisfaction which is afforded to parents and friends.
5. Another advantage is the ready access which it affords to the throne of grace.
6. Another is that we are thus prepared to meet with a smile the dark frowns of adversity.
7. There is every encouragement for seeking early after God, because we are thus enabled to await, with calm and holy resignation, the coming of death.
(John N. Norton.)
Parallel VersesKJV: I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.