And as they thus spoke, Jesus himself stood in the middle of them, and said to them, Peace be to you.…
I. Notice the nature of the blessing which the Lord Jesus proclaims. It is the blessing of "Peace."
II. We observe the peculiar connection which the Redeemer implies this blessing to possess with Himself. He comes to them as the author of peace: and the peace which He wishes for them, He Himself gives.
1. Let it be considered that reconciliation with God arises wholly and exclusively from the sacrificial efficacy of the Saviour's sufferings.
2. Not only is reconciliation secured entirely by the sacrificial efficacy of His sufferings, but from the Lord Jesus Christ proceeds the mission of the Holy Spirit, whose office it is to apply actually to men the various blessings of redemption.
III. The animating influence which the Lord Jesus designs a participation of this blessing to exercise over all those by whom it is enjoyed.
1. The possession of this spiritual peace is designed to act as a preservative against temptation.
2. As designed to be a consolation amidst sorrow.
3. As designed to be an incentive to activity.
4. As an exciting cause of gratitude.
Parallel VersesKJV: And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.