And I will make with them a covenant of peace, and will cause the evil beasts to cease out of the land…
I. THIS COMMUNICATION IS NEEDED BY THE WORLD.
1. Contemplate the vast portion of the world, which is still destitute of the presence and the power of true religion.
2. Contemplate the tardiness with which true religion is now advancing among men.
II. THIS COMMUNICATION IS PROMISED BY GOD.
1. The promise of God defines the nature of this communication. It consists in the influences of the Holy Spirit, made to affect the hearts and the consciences of men by the truth, which the Gospel embodies and displays.
2. The promise of God has also defined its extent. There are to be "showers" — impartations commensurate with the existing need, and designed absolutely and entirely to extinguish and terminate that need.
3. The purpose of God has also defined its results. "There shall be showers of blessing."
III. THIS COMMUNICATION, WHICH IS NEEDED BY THE WORLD, AND WHICH IS PROMISED BY GOD, MUST BE SOUGHT BY THE CHURCH.
1. The Church must seek for this communication by the removal of worldly confortuity.
2. The Church must seek for this communication by the cultivation of union and fraternal love.
3. The Church must seek this communication by the employment of vigorous and zealous exertions, in the practical distribution of the truth, which has been affirmed to be the instrument, through which the Spirit of God is to descend in blessing upon the world.
4. The Church must seek for this communication by the offering of fervent and importunate prayer.
(J. Parsons, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And I will make with them a covenant of peace, and will cause the evil beasts to cease out of the land: and they shall dwell safely in the wilderness, and sleep in the woods.