But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
I. ITS CAUSES.
1. Opposition and fear of injury from those who are the enemies of religion.
2. A too frequent and uniform conformity and intercourse with the world.
3. Self-confidence in spiritual gifts and attainments.
4. A neglect of the private duties of religion.
II. ITS SIGNS.
1. It is testified by signs which do not amount to that flagrant and public departure from the gospel which frequently is displayed.
(1) A relinquishment of public labour in the church;
(2) an irregular attendance upon public ordinances;
(3) a spirit of inattention and carelessness under these ordinances;
(4) an indulgence in social life of useless conversation.
2. Signs which do amount to a positive and public departure from the religion of the cross.
III. ITS EVILS.
1. AS they affect the individuals themselves.
2. As they affect the Church.
(1) They discourage others just setting forth in the way of religion;
(2) they lead others to sin;
(3) they cause mockery of religion.
IV. THE CURE.
1. Call to mind the times of former devotedness.
2. Contemplate the intense guilt of the act.
3. Resolve to forsake the transgression by which it has been brought about.
4. Connect all our convictions.and emotions with prayer for the influence of the Holy Spirit.
Parallel VersesKJV: But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.