Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, on the throne of David, and on his kingdom, to order it…
I. THE INCREASE OF HIS GOVERNMENT. This implies —
1. The extended diffusion of the knowledge of His Gospel.
2. The triumphs of His grace over the sin and misery of man.
3. The diffusion of the peaceful influence of the Gospel in calming the passions, and allaying the violence of unhappy men.
4. The annihilation of all that opposes His progress.
II. HOW IS THE GOVERNMENT OF CHRIST TO INCREASE? By the agency of miracles? No; the age of miracles is gone. By the distribution of the Bible, and suitable tracts, by pious individuals? Doubtless this may be the means of great usefulness. By the education of the young? We look for something more than all this. How then shall it be increased? By the instrumentality of the preached Gospel accompanied by the influences of the Holy Spirit.
III. WHERE IS THE NECESSITY OR CERTAINTY OF THIS INCREASE OF THE SAVIOUR'S GOVERNMENT?
1. In the Divine appointment.
2. In the claims of His mediatorial sacrifice (Philippians 2:8-11).
3. In the very nature of His exaltation (Ephesians 1:21, 22).
4. In the events which have taken place in the theatre of the world (Haggai 2:7).
5. In the proofs with which we are furnished of the final evangelisation of the world.
Parallel VersesKJV: Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
WEB: Of the increase of his government and of peace there shall be no end, on the throne of David, and on his kingdom, to establish it, and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from that time on, even forever. The zeal of Yahweh of Armies will perform this.