His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him…
I. THE SAVIOUR'S RENOWN. For by "His name" we understand His renown.
1. The source from whence this renown is derived. It is from His proper and essential divinity; from His condescending and efficacious sufferings; from His exaltation and mediatorial glory. What is all other renown compared to His?
2. The permanence with which it is invested. We have seen much of the essential perpetuity of our Saviour's renown, from what has already transpired in the history and annals of the world. It has endured the attack of heathenism when made under the elements of classic Greece or the power of inferior Rome. It has endured the attack of modern infidelity, which uttered its hell-cry from philosopher to king, and back again from king to philosopher, "Crush the wretch, crush the wretch!" — by that wretch meaning the Redeemer, whose Cause and whose glory we plead.
II. THE REDEEMER'S INFLUENCE.
1. Its method. It is secured through His Spirit, His Word, His Church.
2. Its character — it is one of blessing and grace. The religion of Christ alone is the source alike of national, of domestic, and of individual felicity.
3. Its extent — "All nations shall call Him blessed."
Parallel VersesKJV: His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed.