And the LORD said to Moses, Why cry you to me? speak to the children of Israel, that they go forward:
I. THE CHARACTER AND COURSE OF THE PEOPLE OF GOD.
I. These circumstances of Israel, illustrating the spiritual character and course of those who form the new-covenant Church, may apply to them as they are redeemed and called out of the world.
2. The circumstances of Israel apply to those who form the spiritual Church of God, as their redemption and calling out of the world are connected with a career of pilgrimage to a state of future happiness.
II. THE IMPEDIMENTS EXISTING TO THE CONTINUANCE OF THEIR PROGRESS.
1. An impediment is found, in the actual presence of adversaries, and the view of the danger which thence appears to exist.
2. An impediment is found also, in the fears excited by the prospect of future perils and opposition.
3. An impediment is found also, in the guilty remembrances of past ease and enjoyments.
III. THE COMMAND UNDER WHICH THEY ARE PLACED, AND WHICH IS CONNECTED WITH POWERFUL EXCITEMENTS TO OBEDIENCE. "Forward," is a word comprehending what must be the exclusive spirit of the Christian calling. Perils, foes, and fears, are not to be regarded; above them all, the mandate sounds its imperious note — "Go forward."
1. Let us reflect on the danger of return.
2. Let us reflect on the sufficiency of the Divine protection.
3. Let us reflect on the value of the possessions, by the enjoyment of which our progress is to be closed.
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward: