And he said to them, Be not affrighted: You seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here…
I. CONSIDER THE MANNER IN WHICH HE WAS COMMITTED THERE.
1. He was committed there by persons of remarkably interesting character. Joseph of Arimathea: Nicodemus.
2. He was committed there with many tokens of regard and affection.
3. He was committed there with unostentatious quietness and privacy.
II. CONSIDER THE ENDS WHICH, BY HIS COMMITTAL TO IT, WERE ACCOMPLISHED THERE.
1. His committal to that place confirmed the reality of His death.
2. His committal to that place fulfilled the declarations of ancient prophecies and types.
3. His committal there completed the abasement of His humiliation.
4. His committal has delightfully softened and mitigated the terrors of the grave for His people.
5. By His committal there He immediately and necessarily introduced His own mediatorial exaltation and empire. This was the last step towards His exaltation; it provided for and secured it.
III. LEARN THE LESSONS WHICH ARE INCULCATED THERE.
1. The tenderness and devotedness of His love.
2. The duty of unreserved devotedness to His will.
3. The abounding consolations we possess, in reflecting on the departure of our Christian friends, and in anticipating our own.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.