Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD's side? let him come to me…
I. THE TEXT IMPLIES AN OPPOSITION.
II. THE TEXT ADVOCATES A DUTY. It is the duty of being on the Lord's side.
1. To be on the Lord's side is to acknowledge Him as the only Lord.
2. To be on the Lord's side is to render from the heart actually to Him emotions of reverence, of admiration, and of gratitude, which are permanent and supreme.
3. To be on the Lord's side is to abandon and repudiate all refuges which are false, in connection with the great principle of acceptance before Him, and to rest entirely and implicitly upon the one method which He has been pleased to propound, and which is found in the expiation and in the imputed righteousness of His Son.
4. To be on the Lord's side is to become practically conformed to His commandments.
5. To be on the Lord's side is to be diligent in the advancement of His glory. Again: you are to observe what are the inducements to be on the Lord's side.
1. You should be on the Lord's side because He possesses an unimpeachable and absolute right to you.
(1) He has the right of a Creator.
(2) The right of a benefactor.
(3) In order to save you from that wrath, He has rendered His most precious and incomparable gift: He gave His own Son.
(4) Because you will be made partakers of vast and incomparable blessings.
(5) Because by not being so you are exposed to overwhelming punishment and sorrow.
III. THE TEXT DEMANDS A DECLARATION. "Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the Lord's side? let him come unto me." God will not have His servants to live in secret and in retirement; they are to proclaim and publish the fact that they are for Him.
1. This declaration should be made by verbal announcement in the intercourse of social life: "With the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
2. This declaration is also to be made by union with the people of God in the Church of His Son.
3. This declaration also is to be made by active and devoted diligence in promoting the cause of God among the apostate and the rebellious of your race.
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD'S side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.