For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful…
I. JESUS CHRIST HAS THE GOVERNMENT OF HEAVEN. After He had triumphantly risen from the dead, and the time of His glorious ascension to heaven was at hand, He said unto His disciples, "All power is given unto Me in heaven," meaning, that to Him, as the gracious and glorious Mediator between us sinners and God our heavenly Sovereign, all power in heaven was given. And hence the following great and gracious truths —
1. Jesus Christ is the only person who, principally and above all others, has power with God for us. "There is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus."
2. He is the only person by whom we can hope to obtain an entrance into heaven.
3. He has power in heaven to exclude, as well as to admit, whom He will.
4. He has power in heaven to provide mansions for His friends.
5. He has power in heaven over all the angels; He is their Lord, whom they worship and obey; He is exalted above all principalities and powers: the angels are His ministering spirits, whom He sends forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation (Hebrews 1:6-14).
II. JESUS CHRIST HAS THE GOVERNMENT OF EARTH (Matthew 28:18).
1. He has power on earth to form and establish a Church to the glory and praise of God.
2. He has power on earth to keep His Church, through faith, unto final and full salvation.
3. He has power on earth over the wicked.
III. JESUS CHRIST HAS THE GOVERNMENT OF HELL. Satan, therefore, and the whole host of evil spirits, are under His command; and therefore their malice, their subtilty, and power, shall never prevail to the ruin of the weakest of His flock. Conclusion —
1. And first, we infer — What a glorious person is Jesus Christ! In defiance of all His enemies, He it is of whom the Father declares, "Yet have I set My King upon My holy hill of Zion" (Psalm 2:6).
2. How dignified, and secure, and happy, must they be who have Jesus Christ as their Governor, to whom they willingly yield themselves in all humble and affectionate submission and obedience.
3. The tremendous case of those who are strangers to Jesus Christ, and without God in the world.
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.