What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray to him?
A not wholly illogical induction of the facts of life. The wicked prospered, the righteous cast down. What is the good of serving the Almighty? Answer —
I. ALMIGHTY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT HEREAFTER. But —
1. This narrow range of prayer must have help now.
2. There is no other world here or nowhere is whole fact, i.e., no different administration hereafter. Justice is sovereign here and now.
3. No force with Job and his friends; knew little about hereafter, of rewards and punishments. They inclined to think God's service paid here. Answer —
II. GOD'S SERVICE IS RICH IN REWARD, HERE AND NOW.
1. God's service is compliance with His laws, which always pays.
2. Servant of God makes best use of what he has. Lord's poor better off than the devil's poor.
3. His service pays in character; makes a man unselfish.
4. Pays in spiritual rest and joy.
5. Pays to pray to God, for He answers prayer. Indirectly. Don't always get what is asked for, but something better. Directly. Often get very thing asked. Scepticism says, "Would have got it, anyhow." Faith answers, "God, not 'anyhow,' heard me." Almighty is not then a blind force, not a chemical affinity. Almighty is a Sovereign whose it is to say whether He shall answer prayer at all, and when and how. "Jehovah God," who "shall reign forever and ever."
(John S. Plumer.)
Parallel VersesKJV: What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?