Rebuke the company of spearmen, the multitude of the bulls, with the calves of the people…
1. Because it has a tendency to corrupt the dispositions and morals of a people.
2. Because it oppresses a people, and renders them more unable to bear the burdens which they are obliged to sustain.
3. Because it occasions great grief and lamentation to a people.
4. Because it spreads ruin and destruction wherever it is.
5. Because it disturbs and interrupts the worship of God.
6. Because it is diametrically opposed to the mild genius of our holy religion.
(John Ralston, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Rebuke the company of spearmen, the multitude of the bulls, with the calves of the people, till every one submit himself with pieces of silver: scatter thou the people that delight in war.