And what I say to you I say to all, Watch.
The first advent is the pivot on which all turns for the life below; the second advent will be the point round which all will be grouped for the life above. Faith looks back at the Cross, and finds peace. Hope looks forward to the coronation, and gathers strength. Meanwhile the Master's eye and heart are towards His people, and He gives this motto.
I. THERE ARE THINGS WHICH SUGGEST WATCHFULNESS.
1. The tendency of the body to induce sleep.
2. The influence of the world to beget sloth.
3. The design of the enemy to rob us while we slumber.
II. THINGS WHICH PROMOTE WATCHFULNESS.
III. THINGS WHICH REPAY WATCHFULNESS.
1. Marry a glorious sight is missed by those who will not watch.
2. The night watches give an insight into depths of space.
3. The morning watches tell of unthought glories in the Sun of Righteousness.
4. The men who watch look out of self.
IV. THINGS WHICH ENCOURAGE WATCHFULNESS.
1. Time is too precious to waste in sleep.
2. A restless conscience.
3. A longing desire.
4. A burning hope.
Parallel VersesKJV: And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.